A couple of other contribution concerns:

a) Yetus Precommit works with github PRs, but the ASF Jenkins admin
job that sends requests over to our job that runs the precommit tests
does not. It's a minor issue (in that collectively we know what has to
change), but someone will have to do the work.

b) We've just started getting better release notes together by using
Yetus Release Doc Maker. AFAIK it currently only works off of JIRA. I
know we haven't said anything about not having a JIRA associated with
changes just because we support github PRs, but it'll be around the
corner because we'll be duplicating work for those PRs. The two may
very well stay side-by-site for those who don't have/want GitHub
accounts, but if anything that makes the situation for "how do I
gather release notes" more complicated.

c) Are more casual PRs a boon? In addition to HBase I spend time on an
open source project that relies exclusively on GitHub tooling and I
lurk on several others. One thing I've noticed is that while the
number of casual PRs is certainly higher they tend to be "drop off
PRs"; the engagement for follow up is much lower. Many folks who get
that PR up on GitHub then don't come back to address requests from
reviewers. We'll have to pick one or more of closing unresponsive PRs,
more proactively having committers "fix up" contributions, providing
more feedback as "follow-on work" instead of something that gets done
during the review. I personally would favor closing unresponsive PRs
because it has the least overhead for our already sparse reviewing
bandwidth.

d) All this said, we don't need to move to gitbox to accept PRs. We
can do anything today that we could do after moving to gitbox except
have committers merge the PR directly from the GitHub interface.
That's not easier for contributors, that's easier for committers. I'm
definitely not saying this is a bad thing. I do a non-trivial amount
of reviews from my phone and the github UI is definitely worlds
better.