On 8/21/18 12:22 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
I believe "NT" is already meant to cover the "NP" case. How can we
rephrase it to better cover the meaning you want?

In my mind "not tested" isn't honest because we have many folks who have been doing testing on Hadoop 3.x versions. There is a very broad spectrum that is left up to the reader to discern, e.g.

Not Tested: "we haven't done a full round of HBase-grade, production-readiness testing" Not Tested: "We don't know if HBase even compiles against that Hadoop version"

if "S" and "F" are meant to mean "production ready" why don't we just
make that status "production ready" and pick a symbol for it? (maybe a
check mark since this is no longer a plain text document).

I really like Nick's suggestion about a Traffic Light: Green, Yellow, Red. This would let us spend more time explaining the types of situations that would cause us to play some "cell" in that box (rather than make more values to go in that box).

What do you think about this? I would be happy to take this on.

But, then I realized that we don't have a single entry for HBase that implies
it would even work for Hadoop 3.

AFAIK this is still because every release of Hadoop 3 has had some
issue that we know will cause headaches for entry level users of HBase.
(those versions say "X" and not "NT" because of specific problems).

I think we recently determined that 3.0.3 and 3.1.1 don't have a known problem.

Obligatory: I am aware that the chart may also be lagging due to recent updates. I busted right over that point in my earlier message when I shouldn't have. That's my fault for not being more clear.