Yeah I like the idea of compressing them. you thinking of rewriting
them with the wal compression feature enabled, or just something
simple like running the whole file through a compressor? Maybe I
should poke at what difference in resultant file size looks like.

 IIRC things already get moved out to archive before being deleted.
There's a default TTL of something like 10 minutes before a WAL can be
deleted from the archive area.

disadvantage to always compressing archived WALs would be overhead to
the Replication process? anything else?