I've bisected twice and it lands on this commit:

commit 6bc46bb10920c1c335b784b01d2a326db1a3d587 (HEAD, refs/bisect/bad)
    HBASE-21959 CompactionTool should close the store it uses for
compacting files, in order to properly archive compacted files.

hbase-server/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/CompactionTool.java
|   2 ++

hbase-server/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/regionserver/TestCompactionTool.java
| 100

At first glance it's hard to see how this change is relevant, but it does
introduce a new unit test.

Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk