On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:36 PM Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think we are in agreement except for a need to have a deprecation cycle.
> Just remove VisibleForTesting and replace with whatever alternative you
> like. Certainly in the next minors. No strong opinion either way about
> patch releases, leave as is?

Thanks Andrew and Bharath, I now better understand your positions.

The annotation is fairly common in our codebase, from branch-2.3,

$ find . -iname '*.java' -exec grep -n '@VisibleForTesting' {} \+ | wc -l
     668

I don't have an easy way to cross-reference this with our AI annotations,
but my concern is that any change we make here without a deprecation cycle
will be disruptive to users.