I agree with Duo’s comment that a performance gain is unlikely but would be
orthogonal anyway; it’s an availability gain that is the goal. We can assume it
based on theory of operation and unit test results but the gain should be
tested and measured on a cluster too.

That said, the results of the testing thus far indicate no regression, which
gives me confidence to support a merge. Specifically, a merge to “unblock” 2.4
(we aren’t really blocked, we are waiting), provided the default there is the
feature is configured off. But please indicate in documentation and release
notes that the feature is not widely tested yet - as is customarily done for
new functionality like this.