TL;DR: +1 for document rules / guidance of review trailers in commit
message, and +1 for continuing using the signed-off-by message for
"reviewed by" and/or "co-authored-by" semantic (committers only), adding
explicit preamble in the "Git best practice" chapter in our hbase book [1].

I did some research around signed-off-by [2] [3], reviewed-by [3] and
co-authored-by [4], and would like to share my thoughts here:

1. We have been using signed-off-by as the "reviewed by" and/or
"co-authored by" semantic for a long time, starting from the review-board
era (long before github PR).
2. I second that our usage of signed-off-by is a bit of a perversion of the
original [2], thus adding preamble as clarification is necessary.
3. Git offers a signed-off-by switch (-s/--signoff) while no reviewed-by or
co-authored-by support yet, so we need to manually type the message if
choose to use Reviewed-by or Co-authored-by trailers, which means
additional efforts.
4. Based on #3, I suggest that contributors / committers are free but not
required to add "Reviewed-by" and / or "Co-authored-by" trailers manually.
5. Regarding recognizing the review efforts of (new) non-committer
contributors, I suggest we use the Github search [5] (and the commit
efforts as well [6]).

Best Regards,
Yu

[1] http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#git.best.practices