Stripe compaction is a feature which has been implemented long ago in HBase
but I've never seen extensive usage in the community. And recently I found
that a big company in China, Meituan, has made use of stripe compaction in
their production cluster. One of the team member shared some information on
a github PR and she agreed that I could share it in the mailing list.

Hi, @Apache9 <https://github.com/Apache9> , it's my pleasure to share these
> information.
> We use StripeCompactionPolicy in almost all of our production clusters.
> And we let recently data in memstore flush to L0, limit stripe size to
> about 10G. Most of our regions are large than 50G, there even exist regions
> larger than 2T... StripeCompactionPolicy has no major compactions, and it
> can limit compactions in only L0 and one stripe files, and it can perform
> cells deletion in one stripe just like the major-compaction. The pressure
> of compactions is broken down. Though the total files count in a region
> maybe a little larger than normal compactions, because the files are
> organized as in mini-regions, it works well for most read requests.
> And we also implemented a fast split and compact method based on
> StripeCompactionPolicy, practiced in all our production clusters, results
> show that split is very light weight and no need to perform read+write
> files compactions right after split. Details are in HBASE-25302
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-25302>, hope you have
> interest...
> Thanks.

The original link: