This is great information. I would feel better about it if we had
confirmation that everything is working as expected on branch-2. The reason
for this is that master and branch-2 have drifted quite a bit, and the
instrumentation points are quite sensitive to internal details of the code.
Thus, I don’t assume that behavior demonstrated on master is necessarily
applicable to branch-2.

Since no one seems to have demonstrated on the feature branch what I’m
hoping for, let me spend some time with the feature branch and/or branch-2
after merge. I think it’s important that we know this works well, as it is
a headline feature of 2.5. (If anyone else is really keen to do this
demonstration, please let us know!)

Related: what’s the status is tracing into HDFS and beyond? Should I expect
to see spans all the way down to HDFS disk access? What about kernel system
calls?

Thanks,
Nick