Thank you both for your input. That seems reasonable to me. In terms of the
PR I was working on, I decided to keep it as the more restrictive
InterfaceAudience.Public. I also created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-26266 to improve our docs on
this topic. I'll try to get to that when I have time, if no one else gets
to it before me.