Thank you both for the input. I will get a PR up for that shortly.

Related, I also filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-27142 for
branch-2 blocking client -- "Scanner timeout should take precedence over
rpc timeout". I noticed that you changed this behavior for the async client
a few years ago Duo, and I think it makes sense to do for the blocking
client. Otherwise setting a special meta scanner timeout won't really take
effect unless we also provide a special meta rpc timeout. Per Andrew's
comment (which I 100% agree), it seems better to unify the clients than to
create another new config.