Hello devs,

When doing a security audit on the software we're using we've found a few
CVEs in HBase. We've been looking into the mailing list and Jira in order
to see if these are known and/or accepted CVEs and have found some related
issues.

One of the detected CVEs is mentioned in an issue as low priority in this
issues: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-27436 (Remove protobuf
2 dependencies). Which looking at the priority and description seems to be
an accepted CVE.

There are also two issues mentioning integrating CVE checking to the build
process:
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-20553 (Add dependency CVE
checking to nightly tests)
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-20971 (Please add OWASP
Dependency Check to the core build (pom.xml) and all sub-component builds.)
Both have a high priority, but are also several years old. Is this
something that is still interesting for the project and worth looking into?

We were able to find some messages on the mailing list mentioning updating
dependencies because of CVEs in release notes. But we've not found any
documentation mentioning a process of detecting and addressing CVEs.

We want to work on addressing these CVEs in our own installation. We want
to find out which CVEs are relevant, and fix any relevant CVEs. It would be
nice if we could get these changes merged somehow so we don't have to
maintain our own HBase fork. Updating dependencies can also come with some
subtle problems that may be difficult to solve without some advise from the
community, is this worthwhile enough to to invest time into?

Regards,

Wes
--

   - Winner of Dutch Innovation award within Law Enforcement
   - Active in 26 countries

Wes Schuitema
Software Engineer

phone:
skype:
site:
pgp: +31 (0)50 21 11 622
w...@web-iq.com
web-iq.com
67ED A1AB 34EF CA75 1F88 F2E2 ADC0 E1DD 6905 D5EA
The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient
specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of
this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender.
If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and
follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not
occur in the future.