Primary development on hbase-backup and TLS is complete. There are a couple
minor things I may want to add to TLS in the future, such as pluggable cert
verification. But those are not needed for initial release IMO.

We are almost ready integrating hbase-backup in production. We’ve fixed a
few minor things (all committed) but otherwise it’s worked well so far in
tests.

We are a bit delayed in integrating TLS. I’m hopeful it will happen in the
next 2-3 months. It’s a big project for us, so not quick, but definitely on
the roadmap.

It seems like cloudera may be closer to integrating TLS in production.
Balazs recently filed and fixed HBASE-27673 related to mTLS. Maybe he can
chime in on his status, or let me know if I am totally off base :)