RpcConnectionRegistry was introduced in 2.5.0, and since it reduces
the load of zookeeper, I believe it has already been used by lots of
users.
We have already known that it can not work well with token(digest)
based authentication, and have already filed HBASE-25051 for it. and
recently, when fixing HBASE-28316, we found out that it could also be
broken if we choose to use different server principals for master and
region server, see HBASE-28321 for more details.
Since this is a very important feature and should have been widely
used among our users, I think we should fix these issues ASAP.
I've already worked on HBASE-25051 for a while and provided a workable
solution[1], so this time I took a deep thought and put up a design
doc[2], to address both HBASE-25051 and HBASE-28321.

Please take a look. Any comments here or on the design doc are welcomed.

Thanks.

1. https://github.com/apache/hbase/pull/5631
2.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cu-qzAdBGyBKM07aQP06RM0oeFSLPGtQFWuV_TDyBNg/edit?usp=sharing