It probably helps here to recognize the similarities in management of client
certs in the usual mTLS architectures and the Kerberos TGT. Both are short
lived credentials that the client obtains from an authority using some kind of
secret that establishes its right to receive the credential and then that
credential is a proxy for this trust for as long as it is valid. The cert or
ticket is presented when a trusted connection is required and validated and
this validation is a local cryptographic operation. The expenses related to
granting trust are amortized over the short lifetime of the cert or ticket and
especially the server doesn’t need to do something expensive to determine if
the client is trustworthy. The risks are similar relating to an attacker
stealing the cert or ticket for impersonation as are the countermeasures.