Github user zhan849 commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/helix/pull/201

    @lujiefsi currently we have the assumption that resource will have state
model def, which is registered by ParticipantManager. If you really want to fix
the issue, then I'd suggest doing the following:

    - in computeNewIdealState, log error when we cannot find state model def,
and mark all partitions as error, ResourceMonitor need to be updated
accordingly. Don't throw exception as this will block rebalancing for all other
valid resources

    - WorkflowConfig's start time is fetched from it's ScheduleConfig, which is
enforced by builder (if no start time is provided, builder will fail the
build). So we can assume it is always there. Similarly, if you really want to
add check (assuming someone did not use our API to create object), don't throw
exception, log error and record failure in workflow monitor

---