I was thinking about it. Let us do the following:

For big patches (a big patch is one which involves changing more than
10 files - those files can be test/code changes or even generated files),
reviewBoard is mandatory.

For smaller patches, reviewBoard is optional. However, if any reviewer
asks for a reviewBoard request from the committer, it becomes
mandatory, and the contributor needs to create the reviewBoard request.

As  good practice, also copy important review comments in the jira, so that
they are searchable and give enough context to a new contributor.

Thanks,
-namit