Hadoop 2 has been GA for a little over a year, there is still a fairly
significant user base that uses hadoop-1 and would not be happy with this
change.  It should be removed at some point, but I'm not in favor of
removing in next release which would be too soon.

Perhaps we can declare it deprecated in some future release (perhaps 1.3),
then another release to formally remove it, as was done in HBase.  HBase
did the formal removal in a major release (1.0) which is a lot cleaner, not
sure if we have that luxury now that Hive 1.0 is forked.

Thanks,
Szehon