Ok, I've created branch-1. I've also updated HowToContribute with information on what patches go where now. Proofreaders and feedback on clarity are welcomed. (At the same time I updated the page to contain git instructions instead of SVN, so feedback on that is good too.)

Alan.

Alan Gates <mailto:alanfga...@gmail.com>
June 1, 2015 at 16:19
Based on our discussion and vote last week I'm working on creating branch-1. I plan to make the branch tomorrow. If anyone has a large commit they don't want to have to commit twice and they are close to committing it let me know so I can make sure it gets in before I branch.

I'll also be updating https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HowToContribute to clarify how to handle feature and bug fix patches on master and branch-1.

Also, we will need to make sure patches can be tested against master and branch-1. If I understand correctly the test system today will run a patch against a branch instead of master if the patch is named with the branch name. There are a couple of issues with this. One, people will often want to submit two versions of patches and have them both tested (one against master and one against branch-1) rather than one or the other. The second is we will want a way for one patch to be tested against both when appropriate. The first case could be handled by the system picking up both branch-1 and master patches and running them automatically. The second could be handled by hints in the comments so the system needs to run both. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Can someone familiar with the testing code point to where I'd look to see what it would take to make this work?

Alan.