I agree, we need to ensure that open BUG type jira have 'Affects
Version' and fixed ones need to have 'Fix Version' set.

Thanks for link Wei, thats very useful. It would be great if we can
make Affects Version mandatory for BUG type jiras. I took a quick look
and was confused on how to make the change!
Regarding 'Fix Version', it makes to set that only when the bug is
being marked fixed. However, it is not clear if enforcing that during
that transition of jira is possible. Forcing it to be set before its
actually fixed does not help, it only increases the chances of having
a wrong Fix Version set, which is probably worse than having no fix
version at all.