Hi all,

Hive project has come a long way. With wide-spread adoption also comes
expectations. Expectation of being backward compatible and not breaking
things. However that doesn't come free of cost and results in lot of legacy
code which can't be refactored without fear of breaking things. As a result
project has accumulated lot of debt over time. At the same time there are
also lot of features which have seen little uptake. We may want to drop
some of those.

In order to move forward and shed that debt we may need a major version
release which allows us to make backward incompatible changes and drop
rarely used features. At the same time there are lots of users which are
consuming currently released 2.1 , 2.2 branches and expect them to stay on
it for some time. So, I propose that we create branch-2 from current tip
and do future 2.x releases from that branch and keep it backward
compatible. This will allow devs to land breaking changes on master and
pave way to release hive 3.0 in future.

Ofcourse, each specific incompatible change and feature drop  even on
master need to be evaluated on its own merit on corresponding jira. This
email is just a solicitation of feedback for creating branch-2 and allowing
breaking changes in master. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ashutosh