I updated the patch incorporating latest Carl's comments.
I also added/modified following tests which Carl suggested:

Test                                    | Client setugi setting | Server
setugi setting
TestRemoteHiveMetaStore   | false                       | false
TestSetUGIBothClientServer | true                        | true
TestSetUGIOnlyServer         | false                       | true
TestSetUGIOnlyClient          | true                         | false

Let me know if that suffices to see this patch through.

Ashutosh