It depends on what you mean by run without Hadoop.  You can run HS2 without
a Hadoop cluster.  Take a look at
https://github.com/alanfgates/sqltest/blob/master/dbs/hive/v3_1/Dockerfile
for an example Dockerfile.  But Hadoop code is still needed in the path.
Hive depends on Hadoop code for a number of things and cannot build without
the Hadoop jars.

Alan.