+1. Thank Chao for doing this. I performed the following actions:

1. Downloaded the release candidate artifacts and verified the signatures
and checksums.
2. Built from the source.
3. Initialized schema using schematool and launched hive metastore service
on top of it.
4. Used Hive client to connect to the above hive metastore service.
5. created some databases and tables and loaded data into tables.
6. Run some simple queries.

Thanks,
Xuefu