Hi,

I'm working on introducing a feature to make IMetaStoreClient pluggable.
I'm sending this e-mail to gather opinions in a visible manner because it
has controversial points.

Some Hive users need the feature in order to integrate Hive with a data
catalog other than HMS. Although the original patch was submitted more than
7 years ago and many users have wanted it, it has not been merged yet.
I revived the ticket and PR so that we can maintain or improve it within
the community.

- JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-12679
- PR: https://github.com/apache/hive/pull/4444

I initially created the above PR based on the original design. That's
because I think it is reasonable enough and I can see some users have
already ported the patch for the past 7 years. But there are also other
opinions to suggest other designs. This is a summary for easy catch-up.

https://gist.github.com/okumin/30b058b14db1b099ba37ba7dc257fe8e

If you are interested in this problem and you have any opinions, please put
a comment on the Pull Request.

Regards,
Okumin