I have a custom SerDe we are using and it works well. However, we have one
issue with it - an application used to allow users to maintain table and column
descriptions does not work with it.

We store the descriptions as "comments" on the tables and columns, via a python
script that simply executes the necessary HQL to set the comment, but then uses
the Hive class to retrieve it from metadata.

The problem is that any comment we try to set ends up getting set to "from
deserializer" on any table using our custom SerDe. This doesn't happen with
tables using the LazySimpleSerDe.

Is there a way to make our SerDe work with comments?