On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Lefty Leverenz
<leftylever...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's discuss annual rotation of the PMC chair a bit more.  Although I
> agree with the points made in favor, I wonder about frequent loss of
> expertise and needing to establish new relationships.  What's the ramp-up
> time?

The ramp up time is not significant, as you can see from the list of
responsibilities mentioned here -
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair .
We have enough people in PMC who have been involved with Apache
project for long time and are familiar with apache bylaws and way of
doing things. Also, the former PMC chairs are likely to be around to
help as needed.

> Could a current chair be chosen for another consecutive term?  Could two
> chairs alternate years indefinitely?
I would take the meaning of rotation to mean that we have a new chair
for the next term. I think it should be OK to have same chair in
alternative year. 2 years is a long time and it sounds reasonable
given the size of the community ! :)

>  Do many other projects have annual rotations?
Yes, at least hadoop and pig project have that.  I could not find
by-laws pages easily for other projects.

> Would it be inconvenient to change chairs in the middle of a release?
No. The PMC Chair position does not have any special role in a release.

> And now to trivialize my comments:  while making other changes, let's fix
> this typo:  "Membership of the PMC can be revoked by an unanimous vote
> ..." *(should
> be "a unanimous ..." just like "a university" because the rule is based on
> sound, not spelling)*.

I think you should feel free to fix such a typos in this wiki without
a vote on it ! :)

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE