On Feb 3, 2014, at 5:29 PM, Xuefu Zhang <xzh...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I guess another point that I tried to make is that if sqlline fork is
> bundled with Hive, it defeats the purpose of allowing other projects to
> share the same code line. I'd like to see the possibility of fork sqlline
> to apache as an independent module.

Yeah, I agree in principle. But to create a small independent module in Apache
you have to go through the whole incubator process. I think a library within
the Hive namespace is an acceptable compromise. When that is complete I will
look at moving it elsewhere, say commons or as a sub-project within
http://db.apache.org/.

(Am I the first person to note that Apache effectively discourages code re-use
because they set a very high bar for creating a project?)

Julian