Hi,

With HIVE-5872 the intermediate sum field for decimal aggregates was changed to
increase scale by 4. I understand the reasoning for having accurate
precision/scale for the aggregate output. However, for the intermediate sum
field of AVG, I believe we should increase precision w/o increasing scale. The
sum can grow large, but cannot increase digits in the fractional part, so we
should increase the precision of the sum, but not the scale. When sum is
divided by count to get the average on the reduce side then we should indeed
project value with higher scale.

Opinions?

Thanks,
~Remus