> OK, so just one of the pages in wiki has changed, and hive behavior has
not changed

That's right, and a closer look at the wiki shows that all the examples are
-hiveconf except the new change.  The only place --hiveconf appears is in
duplications of help messages for the hive command, the old Hive server, or
Beeline.

In a fresh export of the wiki --hiveconf occurs in these docs:

   -
CLI<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Cli#LanguageManualCli-HiveCommandLineOptions>
repeats
   what hive -H says (--hiveconf) but gives 3 examples of -hiveconf.
   - Admin
Config<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/AdminManual+Configuration#AdminManualConfiguration-ConfiguringHive>
says
   --hiveconf twice, in text and an example (both changed this week).
   - Hive Server<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveServer>
says
   --hiveconf once, but that's the Thrift server help message.
   - HiveServer2
Clients<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveServer2+Clients#HiveServer2Clients-BeelineCommandOptions>says
--hiveconf twice, but that's the Beeline option.

These wikidocs say -hiveconf:

   - Getting Started (4 in config
overview<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/GettingStarted#GettingStarted-ConfigurationManagementOverview>
and
   2 in error
logs<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/GettingStarted#GettingStarted-ErrorLogs>
   )
   - Avro
SerDe<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/AvroSerDe#AvroSerDe-SpecifyingtheAvroschemaforatable>(2
in example and text)
   - Developer
Guide<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/DeveloperGuide#DeveloperGuide-RunningHiveWithoutaHadoopCluster>(4
in "export HIVE_OPTS")
   - HBase
Integration<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HBaseIntegration#HBaseIntegration-Usage>(2
in examples)
   - Variable
Substitution<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+VariableSubstitution>(1
in the "evil laugh" example)
   - CLI (2 in one
example<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Cli#LanguageManualCli-Examples>,
   1 in
logging<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Cli#LanguageManualCli-Logging>
   )

(My grep hits were inflated because "-i" caught HiveConf.)

So what's it supposed to be?

-- Lefty