There is a jira for the hadoop 1.0.x compatibility issue.
I have suggested a possible workaround there. There is no patch for it yet.

I am planning to propose a 0.13.1 release, primarily for the issues
around use of Oracle as metastore database, and one in SQL standard
authorization (HIVE-6945, HIVE-6919).
We can also include patch to get hive working with older versions of
hadoop, specially 1.x versions.

Hive build and tests are currently run against hadoop 1.2.1 and 2.3.0
versions (as you can see in pom.xml). But I don't believe there was a
conscious decision to have 1.2.1 as the *minimum* required version.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE