On Wednesday 29 August 2001 18:21, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

This was discussed at length before, and it was decided that we should
use the same signal on all platforms for all MPMs (assuming the platform
supports signals).  Making this be a different signal on different platforms
is just plain wrong.

Ryan

> This has been on my to-do list for ages.  The decision to change from
> SIGUSR1 to SIGWINCH just because a particular old version of Linux threads
> happens to suck was a bad decision.  Hard-coding the value within a
> bunch of places in httpd was just bad coding.
>
> I would really appreciate it if someone coded up a patch to add an
>
>    AP_SIG_GRACEFUL
>
> definition, apply it everywhere in the code (and in the control scripts),
> and then make it configurable using configure [default=SIGUSR1].  To make
> it even better, we should have a way to signal it using httpd itself
>
>     httpd restart
>     httpd graceful
>     httpd stop
>
> would check for an existing process and send it the appropriate signal.
> That way we wouldn't be spreading implementation assumptions throughout
> the support code.
>
> ....Roy

Ryan Bloom                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Covalent Technologies                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]