Sure, it is confusing that adding a file to a directory can change the
results for existing URLs.  But really, that is the whole point of
multiviews.  It should not be used in the general case, but if people ask
for multiviews, they are explicitly asking for the url to depend on the
directory contents.  If an administrator turns on multiviews without
informing web authors about the consequences, then he or she has made an
error. If that is not clear, then the documentation should be changed. (And
I have no sympathy for people who try to use a complex feature like
multiviews without reading the documentation.)

Joshua.