Title: Problem with user autehntication

    Hi
        I am new to apache as part of project we are using apache as the web server and i really love apache Open software
        I have some problem with user authentication
        As part of our project we have to provide user authentication when the user clicks on the download link of a file
       each user is  mapped to set of roles internally and based on these roles we protect and give permissions to the directory I mean which role has access to which directory

       Now I want this functionality that whent the user clicks on a download link in the page ( which is our project based page)

          a  c code   should take the information from the HTTP header we are writing user role :password to the header check  compare it with our configuration file that resides in the web server and give access to the documents

          See the problem comes because we have multiple user roles so when a user logs in and he has multiple roles
         we write role1,role2;password . So the problem is  before the user gets a chance to download the document i wan tto authorize wheter he can really do it or not in a customised way can i do it in Apache if so please expalin

          Thanks

    Mouli