Andrew Savory wrote:

> jean-frederic clere wrote:
>
> > I am afraid that is my fault...
>
> Heh. No problem, I'd be happy to post suggestions for revising
> readme.txt/install.txt once I'm up and running!
>
> > I think your apxs is broken, what does the following commands return?
> > /usr/bin/apxs -q CFLAGS
>
> -DLINUX=2 -DEAPI -DTARGET="apache" -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lites
>
> > /usr/bin/apxs -q LDFLAGS_SHLIB
>
> -shared
>
> This means nothing to me ... is that the right or the wrong output?

The problem is not your apxs, but in all httpd-1.3 apxs:
+++
jfclere@vtxclere:~ > toto="-DLINUX=2 -DEAPI -DTARGET=\"apache\""
jfclere@vtxclere:~ > /usr/local/apache/bin/apxs -S CFLAGS="$toto" -c toto.c
Bareword found where operator expected at (eval 4) line 1, near ""-DLINUX=2
-DEAPI -DTARGET="apache"
        (Missing operator before apache?)
String found where operator expected at (eval 4) line 1, near "apache"""
gcc -DLINUX=22 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite -fpic
-DSHARED_MODULE -I/usr/local/apache/include  -c toto.c
gcc -shared -o toto.so toto.o
+++
I do not know of to fix it.
Any hints?