> From: Marc Slemko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> I'm not convinced it is any simpler to have one directive with a
> whole bunch of options as opposed to a simple version of a directive,
> which does what most people want, and then another one that lets them
> do the complex stuff.

[Didn't I say I was going to shut-up?  Oh well.]

I disagree with you in this case.  It is easiest to configure something when
all the buttons and knobs are in the same place, not when they are scattered
all over.  Let me give a couple specific examples/arguments:

1. Your argument only makes sense if we are going to encourage most people
to use TransferLog and keep CustomLog for the users with "advanced" needs.
But we don't even include TransferLog in httpd.conf-dist. The only people
using TransferLog are people who started using Apache a long time ago, or
people confused by the documentation (see next entry).

2. Having more than one way to do things makes the documentation much more
complicated.  A specific example: The logrotate documentation has always
used TransferLog for its example.  One of the most common questions I hear
about logrotate is "I want to use logrotate, but I want to exclude .gifs
from my logs; what do I do?"  They don't understand that the example also
applies to CustomLog.  To have clear documentation, we have been changing
most things to refer to CustomLog, since it subsumes the TransferLog
functionality.  But then, again, this defeats the purpose of having a
"simple" directive that most people use.  Refering to both directives
everywhere would be even more confusing.

3. Users who just want the simplest stuff are probably just going to use the
default httpd.conf and forget about it.  What we care about is people who
need to make changes from the defaults.  If TransferLog is in the default
httpd.conf, then any change other than the filename requires learning a new
directive and its relationship to the old directive. With CustomLog, you
simply expand on what you already have.  The link between the log file and
the log format are much clearer with CustomLog (even if you use a named
format) and it is easier to learn to do complex things like conditional
logging.

As far as the name "CustomLog", I don't think it is that bad.  It is a
"customized logfile".  The fact that there is no such thing as a
non-customized logfile doesn't really hurt understanding of the concept.

Joshua.