Thomas Eibner wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 02:24:41PM -0800, Bruce Korb wrote:
> > I'll see what I can do tonight, when I get home.  Thanks.
> > I'm not really sure I've ever been able to capture a
> > child with gdb, though.  It's easy with UnixWare's Debug,
> > but I'll see what I can do.  Thanks! - Bruce
>
> That's why you run apache in the single process mode (-X).

In that case, it won't work.  I need to be able to debug
my program:

  http://autogen.sourceforge.net

in the context of running as a CGI service.  I.e., spawned by
httpd.  Therefore, I first tried cloning the environment
by using a shell wrapper:

  #! /bin/sh
  exec 3> /tmp/test.sh
  env | sed "s,^\([a-zA-Z_]*\)=\(.*\),export \1='\2'" >&3
  cat > /tmp/test.data
  echo "autogen $@ < /tmp/test.data" >&3
  exec 3>&-
  autogen $@ < /tmp/test.data

That failed.  This succeeded:

  env - ksh /tmp/test.sh

leaving me quite baffled.  On Solaris and UnixWare,
just running the autogen binary directly works fine.
Only Linux.  The question I need to find an answer for
is, "why?"  :-(