Aaron Bannert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [assuming you meant to post this to dev@httpd instead]
>
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 12:19:57AM -0500, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > >From STATUS
> >
> >    * mod_cgid leaks pipe descriptors, apparently for every request.
> >       I would guess that this is due to recent apr_file_dup[2]
> >       changes.
> >
> > Is the leak in the cgid server process or the httpd process?

in the cgid server process

> Could this be related to the other STATUS entry I just noticed?
>
>     * Eliminate unnecessary creation of pipes in mod_cgid

That is a long-standing problem.

My "feeling" for the situation is that

  there is a long-standing API problem or mis-use of API by mod_cgid
  which leads to pipes being created unnecessarily

  there are long-standing bugs (duplicate cleanups?) that lead to
  invalid close calls (do strace on cgid daemon across a request
  to see several "close(-1)"; some of what you see now may be related
  to the pipe leak but some has been there for a long time

  there is something new introduced at about the time of recent
  apr_file_dup[2] work that introduced the leak

I'll try to follow up with an strace of the cgid daemon across a
CGI...  gotta rebuild (I always seem to have the wrong config for
what I want to do next...  maybe some cron jobs need to keep a couple
of build flavors current :) )

--
Jeff Trawick | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...