Any important site that relies on uptime -should- have some thought
already put into it.  If something fails, some procedure immediately
takes steps to fix it, i.e. a watchdog that restarts apache.

If you don't have something like this in place and you are relying so
heavily on uptime, you are foolishly dancing on the edge of the cliff.

I vote for doing The Right Thing.  It isn't very hard to restart apache.
 But I do recommend a N second delay or some method to gracefully
terminate as many connections as possible so the world doesn't see any
problems.

David