"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 09:25:24PM -0500, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> > So as Graham said proxy should reply 501 or 505 right?
>
> It doesn't matter -- HTTP/0.9 responses don't have error codes.
> You just have to return an HTML page that tells the user to get out
> of their rocking chair and upgrade the client application to a modern
> version of HTTP.

But in theory this could also happen with HTTP/1.0 if a client asks for
/blah and doesn't include a host header - in this case the gateway has
no way of figuring out who to connect to, and must fail as I understand
it with "505 Upgrade Dammnit". Am I right?

Regards,
Graham
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                "There's a moon
                                        over Bourbon Street
                                                tonight..."