On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Joseph Wayne Norton wrote:

> For dynamic content that has been cached or can be cached, the
> "Distributor" component would simply send the response back to the
> client (as mod_proxy does now after talking with the backend).  For
> dynamic content that cannot be cached or doesn't need to be cached,
> the "Distributor" would implement a form of TCP handoff that would
> allow the backend to serve the response directly to the client.  This
> later step probably cannot be done without some additional
> kernel-level module.

I do not understand why do you want that the backend will serve
response directly to the client ? If ithe client is slow then it will
keep busy the backend.

> > > Is it possible to integrate apache 2.0's mod_cache with mod_accel
> > > and/or add mod_accel's features to mod_proxy?
> >
> > Mod_proxy is no longer ancient nor hard to maintain, and as far as I am
> > aware the new mod_proxy does almost everything mod_accel does - if it
> > doesn't, tell me what's broken and I'll try to fix it.
> >

> I haven't spent any time examining the source (or trying to extend) of
> mod_proxy or mod_accel so I am not able to judge either module.
>
> The 2 main points that I picked up from Igor's mail that I'm not sure
> if mod_proxy supports or not:
>
>  a. It frees backend as soon as possible. mod_proxy can keep busy
>    backend with slow client, i.e, using mod_proxy to accelerate
>    backend is not worked with slow clients .

The last patch allows to specify mod_proxy the big buffer to get
backend reponse. But if repsonse would be bigger then this buffer
then slow client can still stall backend.

>  b. It can use busy locks and limit number of connection to
>    backend.

Yes, mod_proxy can not it.

> One additional feature that I would like to have with mod_proxy is to
> have a way to install error_handler documents for all or individual
> backends.  This would allow apache to return a customized error page
> for individual backends for cases when the backend is not reachable,
> etc.

mod_accel allows it. It seems that mod_proxy in 1.3.23 allows it too but
I'm not sure.

Igor Sysoev