On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 08:20:34PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 11:09:10PM +0000, Thom May wrote:
> > Right then. So after a fair amount of discussion on IRC, this is hopefully
> > the solution to all the configuration issues people have been hitting.
> > The only issue now is that this code is distributed as part of the "data"
> > part of autoconf. The license for autoconf _appears_ to say that the "data"
> > section of autoconf (which is defined as stuff that gets put into configure
> > scripts) is under no restrictions and is freely available to use, modify
> > and distribute - in other words, exempt from the GPL. The license is pasted below.
> > Huge thanks to Aaron and Justin for this. (Esp. to Justin for not taking out
> > a contract on my life).
>
> +1 - works here - we *need* this soon as our tree is broken now.

I just want to clarify that the only place where our tree is actually
broken is in the bad assumptions we make in our build/install system
(which all assume an Apache-style layout and usually fail on any other
layout). This patch will give us back the Apace-style layout by default,
but we still have to fix the bad assumptions.

> However, I can't commit without the PMC signing off on this first due
> to the licensing questions.  -- justin

The code gets a +1 from me too, but I'm concerned about licensing issues
as well.

-aaron

p.s. This patch lets us keep the best of both worlds: --enable-layout
works with default of Apache-style layout, other layouts can be enabled
too (not sure if our build/install system works yet, but the paths seem
to be set correctly), --prefix-like params can override they layout (all
of them, not just --prefix and --exec-prefix), and now we can start to
actually go through and fix the bugs where non-Apache layouts wouldn't
work before. :)