configure.in, lines 446-448:

APR_EXPAND_VAR(ap_sysconfdir, $sysconfdir)
AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(SERVER_CONFIG_FILE, "${ap_sysconfdir}/${progname}.conf",
        [Location of the config file, relative to the Apache root directory])

Apparently $ap_sysconfdir isn't relative.  We could opt for stripping
of the ap_prefix part of ap_sysconfdir if it is present.

Sander