Jim Jagielski wrote:

>Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 02:47:13PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>>
>>>credit where it is deserved.  I do *not* think we owe the user
>>>community a project plan and schedule of deliverables.
>>>
>>I think we owe it to the other developers to have a project
>>plan and a schedule of deliverables.  -- justin
>>

>Plan: +1
>Schedule: -1
>
>I also feel that we have a responsibility to the community, but one
>which is based on having a reliable application, rather than one that's
>held to a schedule. Even with that being said, Apache runs the real
>risk of being irrelevant (sp?) if 2.0 stays in the constant "beta"
>phase... if this is the case, then "dropping" 1.3 as we have is
>a Bad Idea. We can't say to the Apache community "wait for 2.0 and
>it'll be done when it's done, but don't expect anything new in 1.3".
>The world doesn't stand still.
>
>I know it sounds like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here :)

No, you're actually making a lot of sense. :-) Given finite
development resources, either the plan or the schedule can be
carved in stone--but not both.  Of the two, I strongly agree
that the plan is the one that needs to be kept invariant.  My
rationale is that the httpd is as much a platform as it is a
product.  People are building 3rd-party modules, value-added
httpd products, and other applications on top of the httpd
core, and their development work may be significantly impacted
by changes to the httpd architecture or APIs.  Thus I view the
finalization of the APIs and design changes (based on what
we've communicated in STATUS) as the most important next step,
followed by getting the 2.0 GA released.

--Brian