> Regarding your key comment "treats all file names as raw bytes,
> regardless of charset"...
>
> I would agree with that for Unix, but on Win32, in an attempt to match
> the semantics of the native filesystem (case preserving but not case
> significant), Apache will perform case transformations on file names*.
> This, along with the filtering code to check for specific ASCII
> values, is why I claimed that it assumes ASCII.

ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 both contain ASCII as a subset.  It is therefore more
accurate to say that it assumes some character encoding that is a superset
of ASCII, rather than just ASCII.  It keeps you from getting your butt
flamed by the i18n crowd as well.

> *see ap_os_canonical_filename(), which is used to generate r->filename

Hey, I prefer to keep my sanity.  I mentioned a while back that the way
to do this right is to define directives for the Directory container that
define when a directory tree is case insensitive, Unicode, etc., since
this has very little to do with the operating system.

....Roy