On Monday, April 22, 2002, at 11:11  AM, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
>>> SetEnv force-response-1.0
>>>
>>> According to the docs here:
>>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/env.html#special
>>> The point of that was to deal with silly proxies that belched when they
>>> saw "HTTP/1.1" (regardless of the actual protocol version of the
>>> response).
>
>> Really? I don't intuit that from the doc though you may be right. The
>> behaviour being
>> observed is how 1.3 has been working for years (pretty sure anyway) and
>> to the best of my
>> knowledge, it is not breaking anything.  Would be interested in knowing
>> what exactly is
>> breaking with this PR.
>
> I guess I'm reading that in the context of
> http://httpd.apache.org/info/aol-http.html
> and I'm also asking the question "What does force-response-1.0 do that
> downgrade-1.0 doesn't do?"

downgrade-1.0 is for ignoring client requests that indicate HTTP/1.1 but
we know the client is broken and cannot deal with HTTP/1.1 features.
We send an HTTP/1.1 response using only 1.0 features.

force-response-1.0 is for dealing with clients that simply cannot parse
the HTTP/1.1 version number.  For these we send an HTTP/1.0 response
using only 1.0 features.

They are both needed, though I wouldn't consider it a high priority.

....Roy