At 01:45 PM 5/21/2002, you wrote:
>On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 07:43:49PM -0700, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 May 2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> >
> > > Context?
> >
> > httpd links in expat, perl extension links against a different version of
> > expat.  both have the same symbol names, and they are not binary
> > compatible.  perl extension resolves symbols to the httpd version.
> > kaboom.  its been an issue for years with 1.3, you'll find plenty in the
> > modperl archives on it.
>
>Euh... we switched over to a shared library to specifically fix this
>problem. Are you saying that that didn't work? I'm not buying it... :-)

If both use the same named expat.dll, on win32 we -will- explode.  If the
symbols are static and not exported as part of one or the other project,
there should not be a conflict.  Because win32 won't expose un-exported
symbols (and the user should only expect our apr-util XML interface calls)
this shouldn't pose a problem, but I'll research further.

Linking our static build of expat.lib plus perl?  Well now you have a real
kaboom, probably.

Bill