On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 03:00:21PM +0530, Vinod Panicker wrote:
> I feel like kicking myself!  Forgot all that I had learnt abt sockets!
>
> What I actually wanted was the ability to use the socket from another
> process.  I obviously cant do that in this case since the socket that
> has been opened is local to the process (DUH!)
>
> Now I want to pass this socket to another application, which can write
> to it when required.  I'm sitting with stevens right now, hunting for
> ways in which I can pass open file descriptors to another process :)
>
> Any help would be welcome.

Unix domain sockets can be used to pass file descriptors, as can
doors and stream pipes (see Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment,
by W. Richard Stevens, Chapter 15, p. 475 for the domain sockets/stream
pipes).

Others and I have been working on adding this functionality to
APR so that it will be available across unix platforms as well as
Windows and others, FWIW.

-aaron