Once upon a time Nathan Friess shaped the electrons to say...

> AFAIK, this situation isn't implemented yet for 2.x.  Currently, the server
> just returns a 'forbidden' response.  There's a long comment in
> modules/ssl/ssl_engine_kernel.c which explains it all.  I'm running some
> scripts which accept data from posts, and I'd like to be able to use them
> over https where the clients use certificates to authenticate.  A
> renegotiation is required when the certificate must be presented for only
> certain URLs.  Since I made the changes -- at least for my own use -- I
> thought I'd see if they make sense and could be actually used for the
> mainstream sources.  By the way, I noticed that there is less of a problem
> with clients running Mozilla, since Mozilla seems to send the certificate
> without asking.  IE first tries without the certificate, and then
> renegotiates.

This is a problem which I've run into as well. Our "workaround" was to create
another virtual server to which our customers would send POST requests with
certificates to explicitly. This is still a problem for people using SSL
toolkits instead of browsers too. I'd love to see this fix go in for 1.3.x and 2.x

-D
--
The things you own end up owning you.