I forwarded your suggestion to the MingW list; and here's the reply of one of the
developers:

> Can't say that I'll join this, but for libtool/autoconf/automake/m4 see
> the MSYS links at www.mingw.org and the msysDTK alpha package in the SF
> Files page.

> Earnie.

> At 18:57 25.06.2002, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>>Is gnu make ported to mingw as well?  If so, this intersects neatly with
binutils 2.11 and gnumake 3.79 are available.

>>>some
>>>work related research deadlines I have coming up :-)
>>
>>I have a make running here, but I think I saw somewhere it's pretty
>>crippled. I can't seem to find it back though, so maybe I was dreaming!

> Of course, when I think about it, it's pretty awkward running a normal
> make
> someplace that doesn't have "sh", because many commands might not work.
there are also some sh available, but I dont know if you really can run configure on
them;
but another aproach maybe building it under the Cygwin shell but link for MingW32;
I've not self tried but there exists some switches, f.e. -nocygwin;

maybe Stipe knows how this could be done...

Guenter.